So I spent a good deal of time trying to figure out how to update 3rd party applications on a regular basis. I wanted to regularly update my fleet of computers with new version of Flash, Java, Reader, Air, and Shockwave. Since I couldn’t find solid instructions on how to do this, I wrote this post. I hope it helps.
The first think I needed to do was to register for a Distribution license with Adobe. It was pretty quick to do and can be done here.
Once I did that I tracked down the download link URLs for each product.
Then I downloaded a windows utility to pull down the new files called HttpCopy.
Next I created a batch file to use HttpCopy to download the files for each product, then silently install them.
The contents of the batch file look like this:
“C:Program Files (x86)httpcopyHttpCopy.exe” “http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=95125” “c:ProgramDataLogMeIn3rdPartyUpdatesJava64.exe”
“C:Program Files (x86)httpcopyHttpCopy.exe” “http://airdownload.adobe.com/air/win/download/latest/AdobeAIRInstaller.exe” “c:ProgramDataLogMeIn3rdPartyUpdatesAdobeAir.exe”
“C:Program Files (x86)httpcopyHttpCopy.exe” “http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_14_plugin.exe” “c:ProgramDataLogMeIn3rdPartyUpdatesFlashOther.exe”
“C:Program Files (x86)httpcopyHttpCopy.exe” “http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_14_active_x.exe” “c:ProgramDataLogMeIn3rdPartyUpdatesFlashIE.exe”
“C:Program Files (x86)httpcopyHttpCopy.exe” “http://www.adobe.com/go/sw_full_exe_installer” “c:ProgramDataLogMeIn3rdPartyUpdatesAdobeShockwave.exe”
“C:Program Files (x86)httpcopyHttpCopy.exe” “http://ardownload.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/11.x/11.0.08/en_US/AdbeRdr11008_en_US.exe” “c:ProgramDataLogMeIn3rdPartyUpdatesAdobeReader.exe”
“C:ProgramDataLogMeIn3rdPartyUpdatesAdobeAir.exe” -silent -eulaAccepted
Then I created tasks to push out Http Copy and the Bat file.
Lastly, I create a remote command to run the batch file. It took about 7 minutes for each computer to download and install the files. I plan on running the batch file about once a week.
Please note that the computers used here were 64bit and have User Access Control disabled.
My next step is to turn off update notifications for these products on the end users machines.
I do realize this is an imperfect hack. Particularly, because the Adobe Reader link is prone to change and it required UAC to be disabled. Please comment on this if it helps you or if you have a better way to do this.
This info has been posted to the LogMeIn community also.
To keep up with this blog and author, please make sure we are Linkedin.